I meant to write this post earlier in the week, but it’s been one of those weeks. Computer trouble, washing machine trouble, early mornings and pushing forward with paperwork have all combined to make me rather fatigued. And it’s only Thursday :S
To be honest, it’s been a bit like that for the last month or so. A combination of factors, all perfectly legitimate and understandable, means I had patchy care through much of August, and as ever when that happens, it’s really brought it home to me that yes, I do still have severe ME, and I really do need to be careful and pace myself as much as possible. This week’s early mornings (three in a row – I could cry :S ) have reminded me that it’s not optional to rule things out before, realistically, half past ten in the morning – it’s closer to being essential.
This might sound like a moan, but it isn’t – it’s just where I’m at right now. Life is not all doom and gloom by any means, but inevitably the fatigue does affect my crochet, as it does everything else.
What it’s meant over the last few weeks is that I haven’t really had the concentration for big projects. Small and quick has been the way to go. Things that work up within a few days so I get that lovely dopamine hit of ‘yay, finished!’ much more often than with a big blanket!!
That said, I did manage to finish off the blanket I was talking about last time, my Advent yarn blanket. I’m really, really pleased with it, too.
Aren’t the colours just glorious?!
So, details: I used my 2020 yarn advent calendar from Dina’s Home of Crafts. 24 mini skeins of DK weight yarn, 75% superwash merino and 25% nylon. I’d treated myself to 20g skeins, so that was about 54m per colour. I worked out how many solid granny squares I could get from each colour (no more than five, with a 4.5mm hook, without ending up risking playing yarn chicken!) and decided to pair these gorgeous gradiented colours with Stylecraft Bellissima in Single Cream. Five coloured squares + four cream squares = 9 patch.
I joined as I went, with the cream, and then joined all the blocks together in back and forth rows – top left to top right, then the next row right to left, then left to right, etc, until I ended at the bottom right. A round of single crochet before the border, which was border no. 93 from Around the Corner: Crochet Borders, by Edie Eckman. I love the vintage-y look that it adds to the vintage-y looking blanket. By the end, I’d used about five balls of the Bellissima, and it measures ~34.5″ by 51″.
I just love the colours and the whole effect I’ve gained by doing a nine-patch layout and that beautiful border. It doesn’t have a home yet; so far I’m just enjoying looking at it!
In other ta da news, going back to my comments about small projects, I’ve also whipped up these three:
I had a craving to make a wreath, Halloween is coming up…idk, there’s no real reason. It’s whimsy. But I like it. Stylecraft Special DK yarn in black, white, spice and grass green. There’s no pattern – I made it up as I went along. The letters were tubes, worked amigurumi-style without joining every round, and then stuffed and sewn into shape. The ghosts were also amigurumi-style, with little clusters for their arms.
A pair of wristwarmers – this pattern is the Ammonite Wristwarmers by Dedri Uys. I used a ball of Stylecraft ReCreate for this, with a 4mm hook, and used just about the whole ball. I made a few adjustments to keep them snug around my wrist – most obviously, putting a second button on.
And last but not least, an autumnal bouquet of flowers. There’s a bit of a story behind these. The yarn is leftover from a blanket my mum crocheted many years ago, which I still have. I had not realised I had the yarn until I delved into the loft cupboards, at which point the sensible thing seemed to be to keep some for potential repairs, but not to keep as much as I actually had. I also found a whole carrier bag full of knitting needles. Now, I don’t knit at all, but I carefully went through them to separate the pairs from the random singles. The pairs went to a friend who knits (and onwards from her to a charity shop, if she finds she doesn’t need them all), but I used six of the singles as stems for these gorgeous flowers. The yarn is Rowan RYC Cashsoft Chunky, which is discontinued, and I used a 6.5mm hook and slightly adjusted this Summer Bouquet Crochet Flower pattern from Hannah Gilsenan (to compensate for using a chunky rather than a DK yarn). I’m very pleased with the result, which will always remind me of Mum 🙂
I’m now working on a crocheted bag for the daughter of one of my carers, and it’s going well – hopefully I’ll be finished by the weekend. After that, I’m almost certainly going to pick up another small project. Something fairly mindless that will give me the ‘zing! another one done!’ feeling I’m craving at the moment! Don’t mention the sewing project, that’s on the back burner for now. The very far back burner. I’ll get back to it, but right now is a time for fast and satisfying, not slow and frustrating!